Top ten reasons to join the MNEA Student Program
10) Legal Protection you can count on. $4 million in damages and additional payment for legal fees for most civil and some criminal lawsuits arising out of job-related incidents and a free one-hour consultation with an attorney for personal legal matters.
9) E-mail listservs and Facebook fan page allow you to communicate with your peers, get answers from experienced teachers and receive Works4Me, a weekly email with practical classroom tips.
8) Great opportunity to become a leader in your local, state & national associations.
7) Learn from the best at the MNEA Student Academy.
6) Publications to assist you as you begin your career in education — Start Smart, a beginning teacher handbook; Salary Benchmarks & Rankings, a comparison of school district salaries in Missouri; Something Better, MNEA's award-winning magazine; Show Me Education, published by students for students; NEA Today and Tomorrow’s Teachers.
5) Big savings to more than 250,000 locations throughout the nation, state and community.
4) $20 rebate for every year you were an MNEA-Student member when you join MNEA after graduation.
3) Learn and grow with peers from across the state.
2) A voice at the Capitol representing children and public schools.
1) Jumpstart your teaching career.
To join the MNEA Student Program, contact your campus MNEA chapter or join online.
Run for Office
Now until April 18, 2015, you can declare you candidacy to run for office for the MNEA-Student Association. There will be an online election for the following one-year positions -- Student Program Chair, Student Program Vice Chair, Student Secretary, Student Director on the MNEA Board, Student Advisory Committee (one position per local association) Complete the online declaration of candidacy form before April 18 to have your name included on the ballot.
Declare your candidacy for MNEA-Student Association office.
Student Conferences and Workshops
- Student Leadership Academy, Columbia
If you are an officer of the Missouri NEA local on your campus, or want to be a leader in the future, we want you to come to the Student Leadership Academy. You will receive training on the various aspects of leadership in your local. Lunch will be provided, and this event is free. Contact Grace Garland at Grace.Garland@mnea.org 888-968-4820 to register or register online
- NEA Representative Assembly
Attending the NEA RA is an exciting opportunity for Student MNEA members. The nation's largest democratic body will meet in Orlando July 1-6, 2015. Delegates will hear from lawmakers and national newsmakers as well as debate the Association's business. If you would like to be a candidate for the student election to choose NEA RA student delegates for Missouri, declare your candidacy. Declaration of Candidacy Form
Financial and career resources
- U.S. Department of Education - www.college.gov - a new Web site that aims to motivate students with inspirational stories and information about planning, preparing and paying for college.
- EEOC's Youth@Work Web site - The program is designed for youth by youth to teach you about your real world rights and responsibilities as an employee.
- TEACHnow.org - Award-winning director Davis Guggenheim's documentary, TEACH, chronicles four young teachers as they survive their first-year of teaching in America's toughest schools. Watch online.